[ExI] "Handle With Care" - NYT Article

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 14 05:27:57 UTC 2008

Henrique writes

> Damien [B. wrote]
>
>> If a biome has evolved to use
>> large-scale lightning-caused fires to renew itself, human interventions
>> that seem "rational" are liable to cause far worse conflagrations at
>> longer intervals. Monocropping looks rational until a plague comes along
>> and wipes out everything, instead of just blighting some of the crop.
>
> Not really. I never thought monocropping to be really rational (culture
> rotation, on the other hand), or deforestation to make pastures either.
> But, "let's terraform the Sahara" sort of thing seems interesting.

I'd want to know more about crop rotation and everything before I'd
chime in on this one. But I totally agree with your sentiment, and
I think with your orientation. We can *try* terraforming this or that,
until we find out that there is something wrong with it.  It's the same
generally in life:  do experiment, but do try to be careful.

Lee