[ExI] Human extinction

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Aug 15 08:01:03 UTC 2008

Lee Corbin wrote:
> Keith writes

>> I know at least 4 people that if they got their hands on the
>> technology would upload the lot of the religious folks looking for
>> the Rapture.  I know it isn't ethical.
>
> Yes it is ethical!  And for a very clear reason, (see below).
>
>> Perhaps I should write a story about a police officer who enters
>> a rapture simulation to offer a rescue to the people in it.
>
> Evidently only a very few people will keep in mind,
> as I do, the possibility of doing *both*.  In fact, I
> would upload everyone on Earth right now if I could,
> simply in order to save billions of lives should the worst
> occur. From my point of view, it would be very unethical
> to expose countless people to unknown hazards, such as
> Gamma Ray bursts, if I could do something about it.

So you don't believe people should have the right to decide whether they
want to be uploaded or even backed up?  Are you sure you want to go
there?  I can see arguments for such a position but it flies in the face
of freedom of choice.  It is a particular instance of the elitist
authoritarian assumption that you know better and that you should
implement your decision "for their own good".

> Moreover, let's not forget that as they're presently
> constituted, and on the present hardware they're
> running on (i.e. the Earth), many are going to die
> very soon.
Yes and that is quite sad.  But giving them a choice and simply imposing
your choice on them are very different things.

> Around 100,000 religious people perish
> every single day.  Or do you want to upload their
> brain tumors and heart conditions too? How about
> a compromise: everyone starts to feel a little better,
> the truly despondent and suicidal start to feel a lot
> better, and though they continue to be reported on
> the news, no one actually hears about anyone they
> know being involved in traffic accidents, accidental
> deaths, wars, or disease.
>
> And for those who are reading too fast, I would not be
> affecting the people who live here and their lives right
> here *at all*.  No reason they can't live uploaded while
> they continue to live here too.

I still would want you to ask permission first.

- samantha