[ExI] Human extinction

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 20 08:38:43 UTC 2008

On uterine contractions,
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/hypopit/oxytocin.html
describes the role of oxytocin.  A midwife friend said that oxytocin
stimulates the contraction of the longitudinal muscles, pushing the baby
along.  If fear stimulates epinephrine (adrenaline), that hormone causes
contraction of the circular muscles near the cervix, keeping the baby
in.  Supportive friends and experienced, trusted, women from the tribe
can encourage confidence.  I think the purpose of warm water as a
birthing "medium" is partly for the baby's first experience and partly
for relaxing the mother.   And there is a hormone called relaxin that
dilates the cervix.  Genentech considered making it as a drug, during my
years working there.  All are parts of the natural process of giving birth.

I agree with Giovanni that you have an excellent perspective on the process.

Regarding the Christian view of maternal pain as part of God's curse on
Adam and Eve --- that view was one of the factors retarding the use of
early anesthetics in childbirth.  Any religion that encourages
unnecessary pain is, IMHO, an abomination.

  - David Harris, Palo Alto