[ExI] Striving for Objectivity Across Different Cultures

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:36:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM, BillK wrote:
>> Sorry Damien, but I cannot find any other sources that support her
>> definition of ad personam.
>> Can you?
>
> Schopenauer, Die Kunst, Recht zu behalten.

No, that little treatise supports the encyclopedia Britannica version
I quoted later, without the 'misrepresentation' feature that Diana
Hsieh added.

Quote:
It consists in passing from the subject of dispute, as from a lost
game, to the disputant himself, and in some way attacking his person.
It may be called the argumentum ad personam, to distinguish it from
the argumentum ad hominem, which passes from the objective discussion
of the subject pure and simple to the statements or admissions which
your opponent has made in regard to it.