[ExI] Etymology of Critter's Dilemma

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Aug 21 22:14:07 UTC 2008

> --- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This effect reminds me of how in the US fear of terrorism
> is causing much, much, more damage than any actual incidents of
terrorism...

Ja that is one way to look at it BillK, but I see a flip side to that.  US
fear of terrorism may be causing damage, but it is also causing a whole
bunch of cool new solutions that might never have been developed without the
threat of terrorism.

We have new waves of bomb detection technology being developed, which could
have unforeseen spinoff applications, such as cancer detection.  Perhaps we
could use it for finding lost car keys, or the TV remote.

We have a walk-thru machine now that looks thru one's clothing, so that a
security officer can determine if the prole is carrying a weapon.  Would
that be a cool job or what?  They wouldn't even hafta pay me.  Could such a
device be rigged into a pair of glasses?

Consider that gay bomb the military is trying to develop to combat
terrorism.  Set off one of those at a party; would that be a hoot or what?

Fear of terrorism drives up the cost of air travel, since we need to hire
additional screeners (besides the one guy that cheerfully works for free).
Some may be too afraid to fly, even with the new tech.  Result: fewer people
flying, which means a partial solution to global warming.

What damage?