[ExI] Human extinction

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Aug 22 04:50:05 UTC 2008

Stuart, quite unaccountably, writes (parodying my criticism of Nietzsche)

> Despite himself, it's clear Lee Corbin believes in some sort of individual
> identity.

Well, that's damn straight!

> Simply because a certain identity selfishly asserted itself to be Lee
> Corbin somewhere in a chain of developmental ontogenic forms

That's me!  Actually, a whole range of them do, fuzzily (in this
world) identified as say, approximate age 15 through age 79
or 89, or whenever I'm frozen. (Perhaps not so coincidentally,
I've figured since about age 16 that I'd make it to age 79, i.e.
2027.)

> ranging from a single-celled zygote to his present state, this gives him
> license to have the first in the chain identify with the last in the chain.

What?  I'm afraid that you've been reading the "Reader's Digest"
condensed form of my works. Alas, after all this time, and after
so many posts, you suppose that I believe that *I* am the same
person as the single-cell zygote that grew into what I am now?
Hell, that little thing isn't even a person yet in my eyes!

In fact, that single celled zygote hardly resembles me more that
it resembles you. And the only way that the zygote from which
I happened to develop differs fundamentally from the zygote
from which you developed is that the former has a decent
chance of becoming me, and the latter only a very small chance.

> So just what is it that has remained the same about him? A soul?
> What else could it be?

Similarity of structure.  Apparently you've never heard me say this.

Lee