[ExI] An overdue introduction

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 05:01:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Jonathan El-Bizri wrote:
> (Members of the AGI list, forgive me for this essentially duplicate
> message.)

Some of us have it even worse.

http://heybryan.org/mailing_lists.html

Not that I'm complaining.

> I am in my second year of a masters in research psychology at San
> Francisco state. My (current) thesis involves the psychological
> constructs of the mind in regards to online entities: how we conceive
> and relate to synthetic groups, such as this email list, or your
> friends on facebook, and also complex non-human systems, as they
> become more nuanced and intelligent.

What makes those any more synthetic than a marriage written on paper?
And any more synthetic than words used to describe a couple? ;-)

> This scholastic endeavour is my second (third?) life: before this I
> was a dot-commer, working at start ups, before eventually getting
> swallowed by Microsoft and then Juniper Networks. And before that, I
> wrote video game soundtracks (I'm sure you've played some of my games
> :>) and tv commercials, and managed the production group at a small
> game firm.

What games? I noticed you seem to do some ocremixes. Are you in #vgmusic
ever? I also see you're mentioned on a groovetronica website. As it
happens I'm currently listening to some fleshbrain from scenemusic.eu,
somewhat of the same style.

> In addition to working on my thesis project, I am currently reviewing
> the developmental psychology texts of my undergraduate days, in order
> to refresh myself, and with the additional intention of writing a
> review of the literature suitable for the non-developmental,
> non-psychologist working in AGI (and as a springboard towards further
> research of this type). If anyone can point me in the direction of
> similar work of this fashion, it would be appreciated - so far, the
> topic does not seem well covered, which is good news for me, after a
> fashion.

I don't know what you're talking about. Non-working, non-psychological,
but still has to be work. Hrm. You have me stumped.

- Bryan