[ExI] Subject: Re: Human extinction

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:20:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Amara Graps  wrote:
> Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com :
>>
>> Anyone who has witnessed normal childbirth and says labour
>> isn't painful is contemptuous of women.
>
> I don't think you read my messages, Stathis (there were many since
> I am obviously quite invested in this topic, unlike you), because you
> missed my point completely. I find your message insulting.

This is an awkward problem.

If anyone posts very personal details on a public list and discusses
personal problems that are very important to them, then they have to
accept the risk that not everyone on the list will play along and be
kind and supportive.

Some people might think, well I don't agree but it's not my place to
butt in to personal problems and just keep silent.

Others might go along the 'Cruel to be kind' route.

In Stathis' case, he is a doctor, and probably has more practical
experience of medical problems. If he sees women screaming in
childbirth everyday, he can hardly say to them 'Relax and it won't be
so bad'. They would probably try to kill him.

Recent research supports his view.
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080314085108.htm>
Most of the literature reviewed showed that women underestimate the
intensity of the pain they will experience and sometimes hold an
unrealistic ideal for a drug-free labour. Indeed, in one study, more
than half of the women interviewed who said they would not use pain
relief actually did use it.
------

I am only a mere man, of course, but I wouldn't go to the dentist
without painkillers, far less childbirth.

BillK