[ExI] large hadron rap

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Aug 23 18:03:54 UTC 2008

> Olga Bourlin

thanks, Spike)

Many you're welcomes Olga, and do allow me a commentary on rap for just a
minute.  I can't stand it, but after I heard the hadron rap I began to
realize it wasn't the rhythm or lack of melody that was really bugging me,
it was the tone and message.  I don't understand the words of the rap from
the past decade, but the few I do understand I don't like.  So often the
raps sounded like angry men arguing in a foreign language.  On the other
hand, they were somewhat analogous to disco from the 70s: the rhythms made
it good dance music.

I went on a solo cross country trip last summer and found to my delight that
rap and hiphop had suddenly disappeared from the radio dial.  I searched it
regularly all the way across the nation for four days and never did find a
single instance of rap or hiphop (are those the same?).  Evidently the
advertisers decided in unison something I was thinking for some time: that
the messages of rap was psychologically destructive as hell, especially to
the young black community.

Reasoning:  in you mind's ear, think of the music that was associated with
black musicians of the 60s and 70s: the Motown sounds, the Commodores, Lou
Rawls, Marvin Gaye, Lionel Richey, the Temptations, Jackson 5ive, Diana
Ross, the 5th Dimension, Ben King, Sam Cooke and I am surely leaving off
many great examples, but what to all these artists have in common?  Please
say it is their music is so very pleasant: it deals with such universal
human emotions: how a man feels about his sweetheart, hope and beauty, and
how love makes one feel, etc, themes that never ever get outdated.  They
delivered that message so well and with so little pretention, such as Stevie
Wonder singing a simple but profound: you are the sunshine of my life, or I
just called to say I love you.  Many of us may owe our existence to these
artists causing our parents to grab for each other and jump in the sack,
such sweet and amorous sounds are these.

Compare that to the sounds of the 90s often associated with black
entertainers, the rap/hiphop.  What is that, some kind of audio birth
control device?  Do those sounds do it for you?  Sure as hell doesn't do it
for me.  From my point of view, the 60s and 70s black music was constructive
and uplifting at a time when much of the white pop musicians were on
psychologically destructive themes.

Olga your view and commentary on this is of particular interest to me.