[ExI] pain in childbirth

Anne Corwin sparkle_robot at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 17:46:37 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 8/23/08, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Fwiw (1 datum point), my wife Barbara reports that
> childbirth for her
> took a long time and so was pretty exhausting, but that the
> degree of
> pain involved was comparable to menstrual cramps. She adds
> that she
> had fairly unpleasant cramps as a young woman.
>
> Damien Broderick

It (childbirth pain) definitely varies from individual to individual. I don't think I ever heard the end of it from my mother re. how painful it supposedly was to push me out (though she still went on to have two more).  A friend who has given birth to 2 children over the past 3 years reported that both times were painful (I think the first was worse), but that you tend to "forget" it quickly once it's over.

Personally, I still plan on sticking with cats (I don't want to have kids for a variety of reasons, none of which are negotiable, but the idea of going through labor is definitely one of them). :P

- Anne

"Like and equal are not the same thing at all!"
- Meg Murry, "A Wrinkle In Time"