[ExI] Striving for Objectivity Across Different Cultures

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 18:45:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In either case, we have clarified the issues - and most often cornered
>> the other party in positions that may be much less acceptable to the
>> "public" of the exchange.
>
> That doesn't sound quite right to me.
>
> As Damien quoted above:
> The fallacy of Ex Concessis mimics the reasonable demand for logical
> consistency, but it errs by demanding "consistency" on points that go
> beyond the truly logical.

Let us say that the stipulation implicitely goes both for the premise *and* for the inference rule applied. Or, to put it in different terms, the bioluddite, faced to an ex concessis argument that if he admits A through the inference process B the truth of C is also implied, he can either change his mind with regard to C, withdraw his concession of A, or denies that the process B is correct.

Attacking the inference is both the most frequent and the least interesting scenario.

Stefano Vaj