[ExI] large hadron rap

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Aug 23 19:02:17 UTC 2008

From: "spike" <spike66 at att.net>
To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> Compare that to the sounds of the 90s often associated with black
> entertainers, the rap/hiphop.  What is that, some kind of audio birth
> control device?  Do those sounds do it for you?  Sure as hell doesn't do
> it
> for me.  From my point of view, the 60s and 70s black music was
> constructive
> and uplifting at a time when much of the white pop musicians were on
> psychologically destructive themes.

I hate rap (it actually distresses me - I must vacate the area when I hear
it), but then, I am not a fan of music (I go to operas sometimes - but
there's a visual element there besides music; also, I love movies and "see"
music as part-and-parcel of that medium).  Someone once told me I am a
little "aspie" when it comes to music - I don't know, but since childhood
music is something I've never quite warmed up to (it takes up too much of my
energy or focus? - I like quiet, and I can't think or concentrate when music
is playing).

There were a few times in my life when I _almost_ liked music - at those
times I was "in love," and ... well, temporary insanity would be as good an
explanation as any ;).

Stanley Crouch writes a lot about jazz and rap, and if you Google him up,
you'll get the full blast of his opinions:
"Crouch is a fierce critic of gangsta rap music, claiming it promotes
violence, criminal lifestyles and degrading attitudes toward women. With
this viewpoint, he has defended Bill Cosby's remarks (see the "Pound Cake
Speech") and praised a women's group at Spelman College for speaking out
against those rap music. Recently several of his syndicated columns have
been dedicated to these subjects."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Crouch