[ExI] Subject: Re: Human extinction

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 04:02:15 UTC 2008

2008/8/24 Amara Graps <amara at amara.com>:
> Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com :
>>
>> Anyone who has witnessed normal childbirth and says labour
>> isn't painful is contemptuous of women.
>
> I don't think you read my messages, Stathis (there were many since
> I am obviously quite invested in this topic, unlike you), because you
> missed my point completely. I find your message insulting.

I'm sorry Amara, but if I had anyone in mind when I wrote that message
it was the Greek philosophers and physicians you alluded to
(Hippocrates, Aristotle, Soranus), not you. To explain my position, I
have witnessed and assisted at several dozen deliveries during my
medical training, and in most of those, the mother was in terrible
pain: worse pain than I have seen in emergency departments, surgical
wards or cancer palliative care wards. Given that this is my
experience, what should I think of someone who makes the same
observations but concludes that it isn't really such a big deal for
the mother? Pain is still pain even if you get a reward at the end of
it and develop retrograde amnesia.

--
Stathis Papaioannou