[ExI] Implications of Sociopath Testing

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 24 06:01:59 UTC 2008

At 03:42 PM 8/24/2008 +1000, Stathis wrote:

>narcissists do care about other peoples' feelings insofar
>as they have a high opinion of themselves and want others to admire
>them

Some claim, rather, that narcissists do care about other peoples'
feelings insofar as they have a frighteningly low opinion of
themselves and desperately need others to admire and validate them.
(Narcissus, after all, fwiw, thought mistakenly that the face
reflected in the pond was that of Another who gazed up at him with
smitten adoration.) (And I suppose at this point Lacan would say
something gnomic about the Mirror Stage. But then I don't care what
Lacan says about anything.)

Damien Broderick