[ExI] Got blog!

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:13:51 UTC 2008

2008/8/26 Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com>:
> On Monday 25 August 2008, Emlyn wrote:
>> I'm currently working on two things that are exciting me:
>>
>> 1 - Wandering Developer Edit, a general purpose desktop editor which
>> will be able to download editors as plugins in a user friendly way.
>> It's supposed to be a techy person's swiss army knife - you could
>> have hex editors, database query tools, ldap query tools, tools for
>> encryption/decryption and digital signatures, etc etc etc. I'm
>> building it because I continually have the need for this kind of
>> thing, with a simple plugable framework. Also the plugins must be
>> able to have their own plugins, as deeply nested as is desired, all
>> managed through the same framework.
>
> How is this different from something like Eclipse?
> http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/

Plenty of wheel reinventing :-) Any idea that you have nowadays, there
are already examples.

As to Eclipse, it's awesome, really like it, in fact I was a bit
inspired by it if I think about it. However, the purpose of this tool
is different, kind of lesser, or let's say complementary. It's
supposed to be for file editors and little utilities you'd want at
hand. It's not targeted at actually being a source code editor at all.

Some of this idea came out of working in corporate server environments
a lot, in a consulting capacity. What you find is, you are always on
these plain vanilla (windows) machines, and you don't have your tools
at hand to reach out and touch stuff. Furthermore, the machines aren't
online, and you can't just willy-nilly install stuff on them. What I
wanted (want) is a tool that could have all the stuff I need, that I
can hand to an admin and say "install this one thing for me", and
there's all my gear.

I should mention that along these lines, I want a feature in this
thing where you download all the plugins you want, customise it
however you like, then generate an installable package from that which
wraps up the software, plugins, config, you name it, into a single
.msi that I can then install somewhere else (somewhere dark).

The other important feature of this thing is that it accepts .net
based plugins, that can be built in an intuitive manner. This is
because I want this to be a simple, native environment for .net
coders.

>> 2 - Pak System, an general, free automatic update system, with
>> multiple client and server sides. Crucially, it'll have a lot of
>> intelligence about plugin dependencies and related issues, and manage
>> the interactions between versions and dependency trees. It's a hard
>> problem that I'm trying to keep simple as possible :-)
>
> How is this not like APT, yum, portage, etc.? Just wondering if you're
> doing something the wheel hasn't yet.

Now I will admit my ignorance when it comes to these. I'll go look at
them in depth. I have some very specific ideas about dependency
management, but maybe they already do this. I'll shut up and go look.