[ExI] Vinge finally cracks the NYT

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 23:18:01 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Jonathan El-Bizri <srndpty at gmail.com>:
> Last week Intel, this week military cat brains and Vernor Vinge in the NYT.
> I am beginning to suspect we are about to go mainstream with our kooky
> ideas. "The Singularity: not just talked about by crazy people any more."
>
> Henceforth, all discussion of Futurism history will be divided between
> "Pre-Justin Ratner annuncement" and Post-Justin Ratner announcement" times.
> :>
>
> Jonathan El-Bizri
> www.fromheretosingularity.com
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> (and they're not laughing and jeering!)
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26tier.html

I can't really explain this, but I've been getting a sense of ...
momentum in the online environment recently. It feels different to
what we've seen before, like isolated strands are starting to lock
together, feedback loops kicking off. Like the point in a film where
the urgent, tension building music begins, very quietly, so you'd
barely sense it. I really don't have anything much very concrete to
add, except that the free culture movement seems important to it.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com - my home
http://point7.wordpress.com - downshifting and ranting