[ExI] who should white shoot?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:11:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Mr. White maximizes his chances of survival by shooting at no one,
> intentionally firing into the air.  Reasoning: if White shoots Brown, then

I count this the same as shooting at either one of them and missing.
Since the option to pass was not stated in the original problem, I
think if this is "the right answer" that it makes this a trick
question that Chris Peterson both identified and answered correctly
with "in the general direction of Black" (implying the miss you
describe) rather than "shoot Black"

I think we should recalculate using Stuart's suggestion that each man
gets one bullet.  Let's say they're fighting over territory that can't
be satisfactorily divided into three shares, but that a division in 2
parts is agreeable.  I'd say in this case that if White shoots into
the air, he'll be shot at by both of the other gunslingers for being
such a wuss.