[ExI] who should white shoot?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Aug 30 04:35:50 UTC 2008

> Jeff Davis
> Subject: Re: [ExI] who should white shoot?
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:06 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > Mr. White maximizes his chances of survival by shooting at no one,
> > intentionally firing into the air.
>
> Sad.  So very, very sad... Best, Jeff Davis

The point of the exercise is in the math.  I found it quite astounding to
pose a question that involves only thirds, and end up with an answer (still
unverified) that involves sevenths and eighths.  Sevenths!  Isn't that an
oddball number to pop up?

Do let us restate the problem without Mr. Black, and just with two guys who
want to have a duel in the form of taking turns firing at each other until
one perishes.  White hits his target a third of the time, Brown two thirds
of the time.  I calculate that if Brown fires first, his chances of survival
are 7 in 8, whereas if White fires first, White's chances are 3 in 7.

Am I the only one that finds that result so astounding as to be difficult to
believe?  I cannot find the error in my calcs.  Anyone?