[ExI] What happened between Drexler and the FNI between 2004-2006?

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sat Aug 30 15:12:42 UTC 2008

At 04:14 AM 8/30/2008, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was doing some digging to understand the background of what
>happened from 2004-2006 between Drexler and the Foresight Nanotech
>Institute he co-founded. Why the split and eventual disassociation?
>
>There is this 2004 Wired article from October 2004 but it is
>incredibly light on the why's
>(<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/drexler.html>http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/drexler.html)
>
>Below a time line of his positions within the Institute as I managed
>to reconstruct it using the Way Back machine and the ExI chat archive:
>
>until Apr 03, 2004 => Chairman: K. Eric Drexler, Ph.D.
>Apr 04, 2004 => Founder and Chairman Emeritus: K. Eric Drexler, Ph.D.
>Apr 21, 2004 => <http://e-drexler.com>http://e-drexler.com live
>Aug 03, 2004 => K. Eric Drexler, Chairman, Board of Advisors
>May 26, 2005 => K. Eric Drexler, Founder and Advisor
>Apr 21, 2006 => Nothing, "no association"
>
>None of the weekly newsletters nor the quarterly updates of the FNI
>even mention his departure - just the appointment of a successor...
>
>Can some of the old timers please share their insights?

No, but I can quote Wikipedia:

"Drexler and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Christine_Peterson&action=edit&redlink=1>Christine
Peterson, at that time husband and wife, founded the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foresight_Institute>Foresight Institute
in 1986 with the mission of "Preparing for nanotechnology." Drexler
and Peterson ended their 21-year marriage in 2002. Drexler is no
longer a member of the Foresight Institute.

snip

"In 2006, Drexler married
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rosa_Wang&action=edit&redlink=1>Rosa
Wang, a former investment banker who works with
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka:_Innovators_for_the_Public>Ashoka:
Innovators for the Public on improving the social capital markets."

Keith