[ExI] VP for Creationism

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Aug 31 17:14:28 UTC 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008 00:30:53 Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM, giovanni santost
>
> <santostasigio at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Do you think that as the cognitive capability of human beings will
> > increase, in particular as and if we will merge with super intelligent
> > machines, the childish belief in soothing tales like christianity will
> > still exist? In other words, after 2000 years of lies and fraud, the days
> > of christianity are counted?
>
> Yes... and no.
>
> If we are able to think 1e3 times faster and 1e3 times as grand, I
> expect there will be people 1e6 times as gullible or willing to be
> relinquish their right to think for themselves.  I'm not saying I like
> this, but I have no reason to believe it won't be true.

I agree.   Also, people will tune the machines to come up with the "right"
answers before they are willing to integrate.  Any "wrong" answers will be
rejected and "corrected".  Nobody would merge with a machine that they know
will change their values.  Furthermore, there will be competing machine brands
(if the conservatives allow machine integration at all).  The Republicans will
have augments to help religious and conservative thought.  The atheists will
have augments to help enforce logic and the scientific method.  Each will model
their augments upon what they believe to be correct.  I see no reason to
expect humans to choose to have their value systems changed by machines.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP