[ExI] Fwd: [Artemis] The Obama-Biden Transition Team looking into Space Based Solar Power.

Kevin H kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 23:19:51 UTC 2008

Where's the evidence that the Obama-Biden Transition Team even know anything
about this proposal?  The headline isn't just hyperbole, it's a lie.  I'm
hopeful too; there was an article on Slashdot a while back that also implied
that the President-elect transition team are looking into space-based solar
power, but I'm desperately looking for something the least bit credible.

But I just wanted to thank the participants on this list for all the
interesting discussions about space-based solar power.  Khenson keeps
mentioning a webpage where he keeps his plans on but I haven't found the
link yet.  Does anyone know where it is?

One suggestion though, if we don't have the technology to build a space
elevator, and if the technology probably isn't even possible given our
current level of development, why mention it at all?  I mean, launching
solar power satellites would probably be cheaper using Star Trek
transporters too, but it's pointless mentioning it and it just makes you
sound like a kook.  But SPS sounds like a credible, *existing* technology,
and that's the only thing that makes it an actionable item that I think the
President-elect, if he's really serious about issues like the economy,
energy, and the environment, needs to take a long, well-examined, look at.
It's interesting to note how many items on his platform this technology
checks off.

But, man, amazing stuff, if we can even get it off the ground.

Kevin