[ExI] Arthur Kantrowitz, RIP

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue Dec 9 22:10:09 UTC 2008

I'm sad to report that a great of our community has died. I first heard
of Arthur from my mother circa the Gemini missions in the 60's.  (She'll
advise Physics Today on their obit on him; I will let you know when it
comes out.)

Laser launching was his idea. Instrumental in the founding of the
L-5 Society. A mentor to Keith Henson. A founding advisor to the
Foresight Institute. Etc., for a few pages.

I was lucky enough to have had a few wonderful afternoons with
him up at Dartmouth. When I last saw him, age was starting to take
its toll, but he retained his passion and clear sight for the shared
extropian vision.

Arthur R. Kantrowitz, Whose Wide-Ranging Research Had Many
Applications, Is Dead at 95
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/science/09kantrowitz.html>

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Kantrowitz>

Alas, AFAIK, not suspended. (Not for want of people trying to
persuade him, though.)

-- David.