[ExI] FakeAlert and Virtumonde

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:39:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Are these only the ones that have started adding at the end
>
> "E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor" ?
>
> I'll try to turn that off for a while.

Yes, but you don't have to turn off the Spyware Doctor message checking.
Spyware doctor has an option to add the signature "E-mail message
checked by Spyware Doctor" to your message. Just untick this
advertising option.
(The problem is caused by the way Spyware Doctor rewrites your message
to add the signature).

Back to Trojans, now.
It is common nowadays for trojans and viruses to attempt to either
disable antivirus and scanning software, or hide from them by
pretending to be legal software. That's why having a selection of
scanners is a good idea. The trojan might not have been able to
disable *all* of them.

Running the scanner again after it has done a cleanup is also a good
idea. Some trojans appear to hide underneath other trojans.

Best wishes, BillK