[ExI] To Will and all the young people in this post...

giovanni santost santostasigio at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 20:17:12 UTC 2008

Will,
Just reading how you express yourself and the content of your post, you seem a very intelligent young person. Probably you have more knowledge than the average American teenager. I 'm very skeptical, though, that what you learned at school is even comparable with what an average teenager needs to know to enter college in ANY country in the world.
This statement in particular applies to the average American teenager's knowledge of History (in particular world History), Geography, Science and Mathematics. Let's not talk about the ability of American high school students to express themselves in their native talk (and let's keep absolutely quiet about them even blabbering in a different tongue).
If you like I can send you to different websites to compare your knowledge with what is considered standard in every other country.
I'm sorry, make sure to understand this is not a personal attack but a statement based on my experience (and that of my colleagues) dealing with hundreds of college students.
It is not your fault. But you, young people, should be outraged with the American education system that doesn't prepare you to be citizen of the world. You are the ones that need to demand, now, that you get what everybody else gets from school.
And self-education is not the answer.
Specialized knowledge is not the answer.
That comes later when students have an appreciation for learning.
Education is about being well rounded, to be able to appreciate the beauty of an equation, the immensity of the Cosmos, the simple symmetry of a Greek temple, feel in awe hearing Shakespeare's or Pablo Neruda's verses.
Without a guide, a real teacher, most students would not have a clue of the vast worlds of knowledge available to them. They  would never appreciate, and take pleasure (the highest form of pleasure of them all) in meaningful learning.
I was fortunate enough to be educated in a country with high schools that cared to forge me as an intellectual, an educated person. I know what good teacher can do to your soul. I felt a sense of awakening when I was in high school. It was an amazing time. I thank every day my Professors (we call our high school teachers in that way) above all when I realize how ignorant American students are.
 The average American student, even a well prepared one, is  without passion, he is lacking self-awareness or awareness of what goes around them, he in not mature and for sure he has not idea of what it means to be a scholar, an intellectual, an educated man (AND NOT A KID !) . We have an exam in Italy, at the end of the last year of high school. A grinding, 3 days exam that, I bet, many MIT  freshmen students will not be able to pass. Not by chance we call the exam "The Maturity Exam".