[ExI] Kurzweil honored for inventing the Singularity

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 26 06:48:06 UTC 2008

At 01:16 AM 12/26/2008 -0500, MD wrote:

>"...inventing the Singularity"?
>
>helluva claim.

Hey, if Al Gore can invented the--

But it should be noted that Ray doesn't exactly make this claim; it's
the Leonardo da Vinci Society for the Study of Thinking, making the
award, that implies it with the phrase "his theory that the world
will soon undergo a world-changing Singularity".

I suppose if one belatedly uses and develops a variant of a brilliant
new theory it becomes one's theory, but I think it would be a bit
odious to applaud someone writing a book about spacetime for "his
theory of Relativity," unless he were named Einstein.

Dr. Vernor Vinge doesn't seem to get upset by his being constant
sidelined or sidebarred, but it makes me bite my lip to see this
happening so often.

Damien Broderick