[ExI] Free Will

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 03:14:47 UTC 2008

2008/12/28 Will Steinberg <asyluman at gmail.com>:
> Do any of y'all believe in free will?
>
> I for one think causality obviously precludes any idea of free will and that
> those that cling to some magical force are clinging to the same thing that
> the religious do.

Say I don't believe in free will. And that's quite plausible; as well
as a purely determined universe, there could also be determinism at
other levels. eg: we could have a non-deterministic universe, but it
might be argued that the algorithmic nature of genetics plus a bit of
initial-state chaotic fun really looks like a lot more like
undiscoverable pre-determination than free will. In fact I think
social science types mean that when they talk about determinism,
rather than the fundamental physics basis that most of us nerdcore
types would assume.

Anyway, say I don't believe in free will. Then how would that have an
effect on how I live, how I act? If any effect at all, then what is
being effected? My free will?

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com - my home