[ExI] Obama Transition Team Examining Space Solar Power

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 05:07:52 UTC 2008

Ben,
Practical fusion power -- whether from Bussard's Polywell generator or from
some other device -- has many advantages over space-based solar power
systems.

First, the Polywell systems could be built in units small enough to power a
city (or even a large town) which means they could be numerous and
dispersed. So if one unit went off-line, power could be diverted from other
units through the national electric energy grid (which needs improvement,
but does already exist). So instead of perhaps dozens of solar power
satellites, we could have thousands of Polywell fusion devices, which
improves the robustness of the overall system.

Second, the Polywell devices do not need to be launched into orbit, which
saves a lot on their cost of installation. Also, maintaining and repairing
orbital systems is expensive and dangerous. Just look at the difficulties
space shuttle astronauts experience in maintaining the Hubble space
telescope. Solar power satellites would be orders of magnitude larger and
more complicated.

Third, we live in a world that is not at peace. Terrorism and war are
constant threats. If a nation depended on solar power satellites for a
substantial portion of its energy, those satellites would become prime
targets. And orbital targets are extremely vulnerable. Even a bucket of
nails launched into orbit on a head-on collision course with a solar power
satellite would be enough to wreak it. China, Russia and other
nations already have the technical capability to intercept and destroy
orbital targets with explosive warheads. Another name for a solar power
satellite is "sitting duck."

Fourth -- as an extension of my third point -- some nations may claim that
our solar power satellites actually ARE weapons, or are "dual-use"
technologies that could be weaponized. The tremendous power passing through
these satellites, if used to power lasers or other high-energy weapons,
would turn these systems into space-based weapons platforms that other
nations would be right to fear.

For all those reasons and more, I believe that our research and development
money for energy systems would be better spent pursuing multiple paths to
fusion (including Polywell, ITER and various condensed matter schemes which
cost relatively little but offer huge potential payoffs). Although I love
space and want to see us become a space-faring species, I don't think that
solar power satellites are the right technology for this historical moment.

Regards,
Mike LaTorra