[ExI] Large Hadron Collider

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Feb 2 17:26:58 UTC 2008

"ben" <benboc at lineone.net>

> If it created a mini black hole, wouldn't
> that make a fantastic energy  generator?

It would make an astronomical amount of energy for its size, but by our
macro world standards it would be trivial. The only way The Large Hadron
Collider could hope to create a mini black hole is if there are small (but
not too small) additional dimensions, then gravity would become stronger
than anticipated at small (but much larger than Plank level small)
distances; then it would be easier than we think to make a Black Hole.

Any Black Hole the Large Hadron Collider could hope to produce would
only weigh a dozen times as much as a proton at most and be
inconceivably tiny; and it would only last a billionth of a billionth of a
second or so before Hawking radiation radiated it away to nothing. But
the signature of that radiation would be unmistakable and we would
have proof that there are other dimensions and they are small but
not super small.

The danger from such a thing is zero, and if the LHC can make them
then certainly cosmic rays can too yet we're still here.

  John K Clark