[ExI] Social Graph visibility akin to pain reflex

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 19:04:29 UTC 2008

B.K. DeLong wrote:

> Each person would then be assigned a trust metric based on my comfort
> level in sharing information with them. Then each group would be
> assigned a trust metric as well. The, ideally, I'd be able to use the
> trust metric to inform my privacy preferences only letting certain
> people with a trust level above X to see Y information.
>
> My trust could/would then be further informed by friends. If I trust
> one friend Alice n + 4 and trust another friend Bob only n + 2 but
> they were friends with each other then I'd use Alice's trust metric to
> at least help inform my own. I should, in theory, be able to set the
> degree to which a friend's trust metric of another friend will change
> my trust in that other friend. ;)

Yes, the key to everything is reputation and trust.  And this is all
opinion or POV.  In small viliages (or on single sites like eBay) things
work great because everyone knows the reputation of everyone in the
vileage or on the single site.  I.E. you know who you can lend money to,
and expect payment, and who not to lend money to or do business with.
But in that environment the "sinner" can just move on to the next
village and get a new clean reputation.  So you've got to have a global
reputation system so a trusted person in Nigeria can successfully
solicit new business in the California on any network.

Another problem is you need to have an efficient way to collect and
state POV reputation information from large groups of people, or the
entire network, in efficient, concise, and quantitative ways.  Trivial 5
star rating system, fixed surveyors, or Thousands of individual
testimonials don't work.  You've got to group these testimonials into
similar POV "camps" and design a system with natural pressures that
encourage them to be concise in a collaborative / wiki kind of way,
while having the ability to filter out the untrustworthy / poor quality
stuff.  You can't expect everyone to write a testimonial on everything,
but simply joining a POV camp is trivial.

Yet another problem is Transhumanists don't trust people Luddites trust,
Christians don't trust people Atheists trust, and so on.  You've got to
have a way to give people the ability to compensate for this.  You want
to be able to only value trust specified by people in the network with
attributes or reputations you choose to trust.

If everyone sending e-mail, posting a post, calling on the phone,
expressing a moral opinion, knocking on your door as a missionary,
soliciting business, selling a product, posting an advertisement
(including the products, advertisements... themselves)... has a
quantitative and concise POV reputation value, based on people with
attributes you chose to trust, then suddenly the world takes a quantum
leap in its morality, civility, and efficiency.

Suddenly all the spam and scam completely and naturally disappear
because the entire network can quantitatively communicate POV reputation
information to each individual.  This giving each individual in the
network the ability to simply ignore all the spam and scam.  You no
longer need laws, lawyers, big brother type government controls / police
states.  You just don't do business with, accept e-mail from, download a
file from, anyone until they have a good reputation, and you do
everything in your power to keep that reputation because if it ever
goes, your life becomes hell, until you make a full restitution to those
in your negative reputation camp, and win them back over to your good
reputation camp.

And of course, all of that kind of POV about everything and everyone is
our goal at http://canonizer.com