[ExI] A Small Request [was Re: Impressive book: Farewell to Alms]

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 7 04:44:42 UTC 2008

From: "hkhenson" <hkhenson at rogers.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:08 PM

> Incidentally, if you read the last part of the book, Clark does talk
> about a well tested method that is known to get *some* of the poor
> out of poverty.

Surely ... not everyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps?

Does Clark have a plan (well-tested or not) for *some* of the mentally ill?
Does he have a plan for the "intellectually challenged," the mentally
challenged, the schizophrenics, the drug addicts, the alcoholics?

My husband remembers seeing a newsreel of how, during the Reagan years, so
many of the mentally ill were de-institutionalized.  Reporters took to
asking questions of some of the people who were streaming out of these
places.  A reporter asked one of them: "What are you going to do now?  Where
are you going?"  The answer came back:  "I'm going to Hollywood ... to be a
movie star!"

After all these years, my husband has never forgotten that particular
trenchant "sound bite."

Olga