[ExI] A Small Request [was Re: Impressive book: Farewell toAlms]

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 9 01:49:32 UTC 2008

> [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of
> Stathis Papaioannou
>
> The crucial point is that these negative consequences must
> result from a *mental illness*. If I decide to give up my
> job, donate all my money to charity and take to the road to
> preach about the Apocalypse because the voices tell me to do
> it and I believe that the voices come from God, I hope that
> someone will forcibly treat me and return me to my normal
> mental state.

Cool, thanks Stathis for summing up in a few words exactly where you and I
disagree.  If I did the above, it doesn't matter where I think the voices
are coming from. I might well some day just decided I hate my 9 to 5, and
decide that I really like some random charity (highly unlikely, and I do
recognize if I ever gave away my money, that would be a clear sign of stark
raving insanity) and it doesn't matter what road I go on or what I preach
there.  I want everyone to keep their evolution-damn paws off of me
regardless, even if it is for my own good, and I don't want anyone having
the legal authority to do anything against my will, even if my will is
clearly crazed.  I accept the risk.  Others cannot hear the voices in my
head.

> But if I decide to do that just because it's
> what I want to do, I want to be left alone... Stathis Papaioannou

Ja, my thoughts exactly, and this is where you and I agree totally.  Pal,
you and I live in a world where everyone else *really is* crazy.

{8-]