[ExI] A Small Request

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Feb 9 15:54:53 UTC 2008

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
>The problem is, mentally ill people may
>refuse to believe that they are mentally ill no matter what evidence
>is presented to them, because lack of insight is one of the symptoms
>of the illness. Everyone else can see that they are ill, and they can
>see that they were ill in retrospect once they have recovered, but
>they can't see it whilst in the middle of it, no matter how
>intelligent and normally rational they are.

While they are in the middle of it, I would agree. There's glimpses when
they are passing in and out of mental illness, however, that something
is not quite right. I don't know how long that phase is, though, if it
is long enough to be useful to the family and friends around to do be
able to do something constructive with the ill person in that time.

BTW, we had this conversation before, but the extropy archives don't

-------------------------September 9, 2000