[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 20:16:19 UTC 2008

At 12:55 AM 2/10/2008 -0500, Rafal Smigrodzki  wrote:

>. What I said was something along the lines "The rising
>tide lifts all boats"....right? I didn't say that the fraction of
>wealth controlled by workers is higher, I only said that the total
>wealth grows, and is enjoyed by an ever larger fraction of the
>population. That this is true, even in the bastardized,
>over-regulated, stunted kind of capitalism we have in America, is
>self-evident.

A piece on this in today's NYT:

You Are What You Spend

    * <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/opinion/10cox.html>
By W. MICHAEL COX and RICHARD ALM
Published: February 10, 2008

WITH markets swinging widely, the Federal Reserve
slashing interest rates and the word “recession”
on everybody’s lips, renewed attention is being
given to the gap between the haves and have-nots
in America. Most of this debate, however, is
focused on the wrong measurement of financial well-being.

It’s true that the share of national income going
to the richest 20 percent of households rose from
43.6 percent in 1975 to 49.6 percent in 2006, the
most recent year for which the Bureau of Labor
Statistics has complete data. Meanwhile, families
in the lowest fifth saw their piece of the pie
fall from 4.3 percent to 3.3 percent.

Income statistics, however, don’t tell the whole
story of Americans’ living standards. Looking at
a far more direct measure of American families’
economic status ­ household consumption ­
indicates that the gap between rich and poor is
far less than most assume, and that the abstract,
income-based way in which we measure the
so-called poverty rate no longer applies to our society.

The top fifth of American households earned an
average of $149,963 a year in 2006. As shown in
the first accompanying chart, they spent $69,863
on food, clothing, shelter, utilities,
transportation, health care and other categories
of consumption. The rest of their income went largely to taxes and savings.

The bottom fifth earned just $9,974, but spent
nearly twice that ­ an average of $18,153 a year.
How is that possible? A look at the far
right-hand column of the consumption chart,
labeled “financial flows,” shows why: those
lower-income families have access to various
sources of spending money that doesn’t fall under
taxable income. These sources include portions of
sales of property like homes and cars and
securities that are not subject to capital gains
taxes, insurance policies redeemed, or the
drawing down of bank accounts. While some of
these families are mired in poverty, many (the
exact proportion is unclear) are headed by
retirees and those temporarily between jobs, and
thus their low income total doesn’t accurately
reflect their long-term financial status.

So, bearing this in mind, if we compare the
incomes of the top and bottom fifths, we see a
ratio of 15 to 1. If we turn to consumption, the
gap declines to around 4 to 1. A similar
narrowing takes place throughout all levels of
income distribution. The middle 20 percent of
families had incomes more than four times the
bottom fifth. Yet their edge in consumption fell to about 2 to 1.

Let’s take the adjustments one step further.
Richer households are larger ­ an average of 3.1
people in the top fifth, compared with 2.5 people
in the middle fifth and 1.7 in the bottom fifth.
If we look at consumption per person, the
difference between the richest and poorest
households falls to just 2.1 to 1. The average
person in the middle fifth consumes just 29
percent more than someone living in a bottom-fifth household.

To understand why consumption is a better
guideline of economic prosperity than income, it
helps to consider how our lives have changed.
Nearly all American families now have
refrigerators, stoves, color TVs, telephones and
radios. Air-conditioners, cars, VCRs or DVD
players, microwave ovens, washing machines,
clothes dryers and cellphones have reached more than 80 percent of households.

As the second chart, on the spread of
consumption, shows, this wasn’t always so. The
conveniences we take for granted today usually
began as niche products only a few wealthy
families could afford. In time, ownership spread
through the levels of income distribution as
rising wages and falling prices made them
affordable in the currency that matters most ­
the amount of time one had to put in at work to
gain the necessary purchasing power.

At the average wage, a VCR fell from 365 hours in
1972 to a mere two hours today. A cellphone
dropped from 456 hours in 1984 to four hours. A
personal computer, jazzed up with thousands of
times the computing power of the 1984 I.B.M.,
declined from 435 hours to 25 hours. Even cars
are taking a smaller toll on our bank accounts:
in the past decade, the work-time price of a
mid-size Ford sedan declined by 6 percent.

There are several reasons that the costs of goods
have dropped so drastically, but perhaps the
biggest is increased international trade. Imports
lower prices directly. Cheaper inputs cut
domestic companies’ costs. International
competition forces producers everywhere to become
more efficient and hold down prices. Nations do
what they do best and trade for the rest.

Thus there is a certain perversity to suggestions
that the proper reaction to a potential recession
is to enact protectionist measures. While foreign
competition may have eroded some American
workers’ incomes, looking at consumption broadens
our perspective. Simply put, the poor are less
poor. Globalization extends and deepens a
capitalist system that has for generations been
lifting American living standards ­ for
high-income households, of course, but for low-income ones as well.

W. Michael Cox is the senior vice president and
chief economist and Richard Alm is the senior
economics writer at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.