[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Feb 11 06:35:12 UTC 2008

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com :
>  Otherwise, the young person could decide to
>squander other people's money on the pursuit of trivial or useless
>credentials, wouldn't you think?

You're not including the PhD advisor's role (and reputation) to choose a
good PhD student. And with a 3-year-limit to finish a PhD (after which
time, all of the money is finished), the student doesn't have time to
party and squander others' resources. I.e. the student doesn't need any
more incentive to focus than that hard deadline.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado