[ExI] A Small Request

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Mon Feb 11 07:23:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 21:35 -0800, Lee Corbin wrote:
> Fred writes
>
> > First it should be pointed out that there were instances
> > of "involuntary commitment" in the sense that many persons
> > were in jails or prisons
>
> well, yes, but for "our" protection, not theirs!

The question was not about who was being protected.  The question was
about "involuntary commitment" for whatever reason.  And if you read the
text that Amara included in her message (which is the message to which
you replied) you will find that Amara actually uses the phrase: "danger
to himself/herself or others".

> > rather than institutions specifically for their treatment.
> > Secondly it was in the mid 1800s that many of these
> > institutions began to be constructed. There was a
> > reform movement began in the 1840s to construct
> > asylums so that persons commonly classified as
> > "mentally ill" could be treated rather than left in the
> > usually deplorable conditions of the jails.
>
> But who was to pay for it? As always, that's the key
> question.

No. The key question is often one of getting the history correct.