[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

James Clement clementlawyer at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 00:33:52 UTC 2008

PJ Manney wrote:

In October, 2006, I wrote the a blog about "Sunrise Semester"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise_Semester
http://www.nyu.edu/library/bobst/research/arch/175/pages/sunrise.htm

I subscribe to some of the Teaching Company's courses
http://www.teach12.com/teach12.asp?ai=16281 and could foresee prices of such
dropping to the equivalent of music CDs given enough competition.

The big difference in how I see online/distance courses developing is that
as long as they are tied into institutions granting the degrees, the cost
will remain prohibitive.  If degrees were granted on the basis of
proficiency tests, similar to the G.E.D., then that would allow commercial
ventures to produce materials to teach those subjects well enough for
students to pass the tests.  Universities could specialize in producing such
materials, tutoring people who needed (and could afford) help, and for
corporate/government research work.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:16 AM