[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Tue Feb 12 05:22:53 UTC 2008

From: "spike" <spike66 at att.net>
To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 8:35 PM

> Unfortunately, she is not college material.  It's looking like she will
> not
> even be able to finish high school, but a GED isn't entirely out of the
> question.

Spike, I somewhat understand what you're saying about "not college
material."  (Whenever I hear that phrase, it brings to mind a high school
teacher I had whose idea of praising people was by calling them: "college
material!" "college material!")

But "college material" is a funny thing.

I mean, shit ... George Bush went to college.

I've known so very many people who went to college - but whom I do not
consider to be very educated.  (BTW, I graduated from college, but that's
neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion.)

"Why are so many seemingly intelligent, rational people caught in the grip
of the irrational beliefs of religion? Law, engineering, chemistry,
mathematics... fields that require a great deal of thinking, seem to be no
guarantee of rational thinking.":

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/compartmentalization.html

And there are these inspirational stories about "not college material":

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=rbkelley300&date=20080130&query=athlete+university+of+washington+master%27s

Just sayin' ...

Olga