[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 12 06:31:44 UTC 2008

> Amara Graps
> Subject: [ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...
>
> Spike:
> >The trick is getting one's foot in the door.  Usually that
> requires a
> >college degree, with an advanced degree preferred.
>
> Note to Bryan: don't put too much weight on Spike's 'Usually
> that requires a college degree...'
>
> Note to Spike: When I was 21, I got my first serious
> astronomy job, working for the Voyager 2 mission
> Photopolarimeter team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory... Amara

Noted Amara, and note in return: you are a special case in a lotta ways.
You do realize that you have had an uncommon life trajectory, ja?  {8-]

When I started at Lockheeed, the old timers often commented that the new
generation (I and my peers) couldn't get hired there unless we had a
technical college degree.  Before that, sometimes people did get in there
without them, some with non-technical degrees.  We noted that this was
degree inflation.

Over the years I have seen degree inflation go into high gear.  Of the
younger set that has been hired in my area in the past ten years, I would
estimate three quarters have masters degrees in the hard sciences or
engineering, and many of them have doctorates.  I am one of the few
remaining dinosaurs with no advanced graduate degree.  My opportunities for
advancement are limited, but I find the informal educational opportunities
make it worthwhile just the same.