[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 12 10:03:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:47:43PM -0700, Amara Graps wrote:

> Note to Bryan: don't put too much weight on Spike's 'Usually that
> requires a college degree...'

I have to side with Spike on that one. The entry ticket to play
the game in most disciplines is a PhD, in some you'll need postdoc.
Mavericks have prohitibitively high entry levels.

> Note to Spike: When I was 21, I got my first serious astronomy job,

Amara, the world is a very different place then it was at the time.
Also, you're not exactly average. I'm not sure *anyone* could pull that
stunt off, now.

How many of your young colleagues entered the field without a
degree?

> working for the Voyager 2 mission Photopolarimeter team at the Jet
> Propulsion Laboratory.

The funding for space missions has collapsed, too.