[ExI] A Small Request

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:48:59 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 12:09 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Stathis writes
>
> > Lee... wrote:
> >> Stathis writes

> >> Ideally, only if I had signed up for such a circumstance arising.
> >> [That is, if I had signed a contract stating that a certain company
> >> could legally way-lay me and forcibly apply treatment under
> >> specified circumstances of definite and attested-to infirmity
> >> on my part]
> >
> > Most people would not sign such a contract, because they don't think
> > it will happen to them.
>
> Really, then, that is THEIR problem.  Not mine, not even yours.
> People make all sorts of dumb, or not-so-dumb decisions.

### Let me chime in on Lee's side here. I also would have little
compassion for those who had a good opportunity to protect themselves
but chose not to. Furthermore, I don't think that such "commitment
contracts" would be as unpopular as Stathis expects. Lot's of people
have life insurance, although accepting your mortality in this way is
pretty difficult. Even with Medicare around a lot of people have
long-term care insurance. If people are expected to take care of
themselves, most of them/us will do.

Rafal