[ExI] Haidt's Five Foundations of Morality

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Feb 14 18:42:18 UTC 2008

On this list about six months ago we discussed Jonathan Haidt's
ideas a bit. He's this Virginia (American) liberal who's got the
system of "five foundations for morality".  You remember:
conservatives seem to use all five, or at least more than liberals
do. Liberals are concerned almost solely with fairness and
caring, and others are motivated by respect for authority,
or loyalty, or purity.

It's great the way he explains how all of us so often indulge
in post hoc reasoning in trying to validate our separate visions.
(Finally someone joins Thomas Sowell in contributing to this
general investigation.)

Listening to his very nice talk made clear his own political
sympathies, but nonetheless I do believe that this is progress
towards understanding what really lies behind so many
of our discussions, namely a conflict of visions.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/video/conference/2007/haidt

Lee