[ExI] Scientists Find Solar System Like Ours

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Feb 15 18:26:32 UTC 2008

What? You didn't like my Valentine's Day present?

If you didn't notice.. try here:

"Alien Planetary System Looks a Lot Like Home"
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/319/5865/885

Yeah, yeah, I know, you're thinking ...

"250 extrasolar planets known ... now another one ... ho hum..."

OK, I'll tell you why this discovery: "OGLE-2006-BLG-109"
(to be precise: "OGLE-2006-BLG-10Lb" and "OGLE-2006-BLG-109Lc")

is so cool:

1) It represents a SCALED version of our solar system with a
less-massive host star.

It found planets of mass:
	2/3 M_jupiter AND 1/2 M_saturn orbiting at distances of
	about 2.3 and 4.6 AU

	(in our own solar system we have M_jupiter and M_saturn
	orbiting at distances of 5 and 10 AU)

- Equilibrium temperatures of T ~82K and T ~59 K

	(30% less than Jupiter and Saturn)

- Orbiting around a reddish star of mass 1/2 M_sun

2) It was found by MICROLENSING, not by Doppler methods. This means
that [1]

- one doesn't need to wait for the planet to complete an orbit
- lensing zone is typically between 1.5 - 6 AU (AU = distance: Earth to Sun)
- sensitive (i.e. large signal to noise) to _low mass_ planets
- can pick up the photometry in relatively small-aperture telescopes
(even one's backyard 10 inch 'scopes)

_These planets could _not_ have been detected by the Doppler technique_

3) Amateurs (who are more sophisticated than their name implies) picked
up this object from the OGLE Early Warning System in March 28, 2006 (*)
on the MicroFUN and RoboNet network and when the lens event deviated
from a binary to a single-lens on April 5, 206, astronomers could have a
model of the planetary companion to the primary star lying near the
Einstein ring. On April 5/6, 2006, an additional peak occurred,
indicating a second planet.  Check out the long list of authors. :-)

(*) my birthday, celebrating in Turkey for the solar eclipse!

4) Higher order effects from this unually long event (week, while the
planet-detection events are usually hours) allowed the astronomers to
extract more detailed information on the radius of the planets, the
orbital motion the outer planet.

5) These are only the 5th and 6th planets to be detected by
microlensing. Given its ease of detection, such solar-system-like
planetary systems could very well be common!