[ExI] Scientists Find Solar System Like Ours

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Feb 16 06:16:16 UTC 2008

Stuart:
>I am curious, could microlensing be performed with a galaxy aligned in
>the background instead of another star? Seems to me that that would
>greatly increase the technique's usefulness.

My guess is that one needs a point source, not an extended source, in
order to extract the events cleanly from the photometric light curve.
Look at Figures 1 and 2 of the paper; there are five identifiable
(clean) features of the light curve; some of which I think could
get smeared if the source were extended. But this is just my guess.
Thanks for the Valentines Smooch!

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado