[ExI] Medical Costs

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 06:44:11 UTC 2008

At 11:02 PM 2/18/2008 -0600, Tom wrote:

>What *does* seem broken under the current system is the extraordinary
>care that goes towards newborn infants, vs. mediocre care for many
>adults.  Any adult of at least middling intelligence is worth more
>than *any* infant, and it strikes me as insane that medical resources
>are poured towards the latter without any thought to cost.

As a first cut at this, I'd suggest a couple of big factors:

One is the increasing sentimentality regarding children, especially
infants, in a technologically pampered and medically advanced society.

The other is the decreasing fecundity of parents in such a society,
where (unlike the case 100 years ago) only a couple of kids are
likely to be born to any woman able to make that choice, and those
children are almost certain to survive to adulthood, rather than many
of them perishing in infancy. Each child in a family is now
especially, unprecedentedly, precious.

http://www.pbs.org/fmc/timeline/dmortality.htm

<Prior to 1900, infant mortality rates of two and three hundred
obtained throughout the world. The infant mortality rate would
fluctuate sharply according to the weather, the harvest, war, and
epidemic disease. In severe times, a majority of infants would die
within one year. In good times, perhaps two hundred per thousand
would die. So great was the pre-modern loss of children's lives that
anthropologists claim to have found groups that do not name children
until they have survived a year.>

Damien Broderick