[ExI] size of polities

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:24:46 UTC 2008

On Monday 18 February 2008, Jef Allbright wrote:
> I mentioned amazon, lastfm, pandora {.com} as present examples of
> increasingly fine-grained knowledge of individual values-complexes,
> over much greater than individual scale, facilitating prediction of
> future states likely to be found desirable despite being presently
> unknown and therefore undesired.

Taken out of context, I'd like to point out we also see personal
software (running on our own systems) offering even more choice and
configuration, such as the possibilities that HTML allows for (or
doesn't, for some of the less inclined) -- while being a standard not
agreed upon by the user, it is something running locally, just like
Jabber or apache. Whereas broader services, such as the ancient website
builders (Yahoo/pre-Geocities era) were very static, bulky, and you had
a preset number of three or four pages with a limited number of
buttons, all very hardly coded.

- Bryan