[ExI] Medical Costs

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:12:27 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 4:22 AM, Lee Corbin wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, in many ways it really is hard to compare different countries.
> For one thing, there are profound demographic differences. For
> another, the differing tax structures of the nations probably plays a
> big role: if a small enough percentage of the people pay almost all
> the taxes, then I have yet to hear of any mechanism---I repeat,
> my interest is in ideas, processes, incentives, etc.---that prevents
> a runaway self-immolation of the economy.  Unless, of course,
> the rich simply corrupt the process and hire the politicians directly,
> running roughshod over the electorate (but doing so covertly).

The problem with your interest in these mechanisms is that people are
just as irrational about money and economics as they are about
everything else. A popular mechanism that moves a nation to do
something is very likely to be irrational.

The best solution for 'X' will be totally shunned if it is the wrong
colour or someone heard a rumour that it causes cancer.

BillK