[ExI] please do me a favor

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 23:43:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Bryan Bishop wrote:
>  Eugen, why has there only been 10 up votes on the reddit site? Surely
>  there's more reddit users hanging around these mailing lists than this,
>  right?

Sites like reddit and digg create their front page by their readership
voting up articles that they like. So on the front page their readers
see what their readership is interested in. If a particular individual
is not in the same general interest group as the readership, then
there will be little of interest there for them.

It is a self-selection system.

Personally I am not a member of sites like these. I very occasionally
look at their front page just to check if I'm missing out on
something. But my reading time is mostly booked up already with
mailing lists, RSS feeds and news aggregators that I have specifically
selected as being of interest to me.

YMMV

BillK