[ExI] Genes and the Great Vowel Shift

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:50:22 UTC 2008

One more note:  Keith's initial comment seems to assume an evolution
to a standard pronunciation of English.  While English language
countries have their "standard" pronunciations that are the gold
standard of their media communications -- "Standard British
English"/"Received Pronunciation"/"Queen's English"/BBC English or
"Mid Atlantic English" (Alistair Cooke) or "Middle American" (American
news anchors like Tom Brokaw) -- we know that a Yorkshireman doesn't
sound like a Cornwallian, who doesn't sound like a Scotsman.  Likewise
a New England Yankee sounds nothing like a person from the American
Deep South.  In New Zealand, I could easily differentiate people
raised on the North vs. the South Island.

Maybe the gene theory comes into play more here?  (isolation x time) +
history/influences + genetics = dialect?

PJ