[ExI] Genes and the Great Vowel Shift

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Feb 25 02:40:40 UTC 2008

At 03:55 PM 2/24/2008, Tom Nowell wrote:
>The Great Vowel Shift is a linguistic mystery, so it
>may be premature to suggest a genetic basis.

When something is not understood, it never too early to suggest *any*
possible explanation.  Now without genetic information and the paths
by which this lead to mental propensities to shift vowel sounds or
physical shape of the vocal apparatus it's certainly premature to
state there is a genetic basis for the Great Vowel Shift.

Stating this as a possibility will get people to think about it and
devise tests.  The tests may show it to be true or false, or may fail
for now because we don't have the technology yet.  But just thinking
about it may lead to better ideas about this linguistic mystery.

snip (cogent material if not exactly on this topic.)

Keith