[ExI] Spock, Anti-Spock

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 26 00:11:55 UTC 2008

<http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0709815105v1>

Prefrontal and amygdala volumes are related to
adolescents' affective behaviors during parent–adolescent interactions

Abstract

Adolescence is a key period for the development
of brain circuits underlying affective and
behavioral regulation. It remains unclear,
however, whether and how adolescent brain
structure influences day-to-day affective
behavior. Because of significant changes in the
nature of family relations that also typically
occur during adolescence, parent–child
interactions provide a meaningful context where
affective behavior and its regulation may be
assessed. In a sample of 137 early adolescents,
we investigated the relationship between aspects
of the adolescents' brain structure and their
affective behavior as assessed during observation
of parent–child interactions. We found a
significant positive association between volume
of the amygdala and the duration of adolescent
aggressive behavior during these interactions. We
also found male-specific associations between the
volume of prefrontal structures and affective
behavior, with decreased leftward anterior
paralimbic cortex volume asymmetry associated
with increased duration of aggressive behavior,
and decreased leftward orbitofrontal cortex
volume asymmetry associated with increased
reciprocity of dysphoric behavior. These findings
suggest that adolescent brain structure is
associated with affective behavior and its
regulation in the context of family interactions,
and that there may be gender differences in the
neural mechanisms underlying affective and
behavioral regulation during early adolescence.
Particularly as adolescence marks a period of
rapid brain maturation, our findings have
implications for mental health outcomes that may
be revealed later along the developmental trajectory.